Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Shelby's Secret


Do you remember Shelby, the little girl who wasn't very kind and was very bossy? Do you also remember how Emma tried to be her friend?  It was only a few weeks ago when Shelby had moved into the neighborhood, and friendships were not going very well for her.  Emma tried hard to be a good friend to her by inviting Shelby to play with her and to swim in her swimming pool with all the other neighborhood kids.  But nothing Emma did could change Shelby's heart.  She just wanted everything to go her way. By the end of the summer, Shelby found herself all alone without any friends. Nobody wanted to play with Shelby.


One Saturday afternoon, Emma thought that she would try one more time to be a friend to Shelby. So Emma went over to Shelby's house and found her crying on her back porch steps. Emma was surprised to see Shelby so upset.  She didn't think anything could make Shelby cry.  But she was wrong.  Emma went over to her and sat down beside her and asked, " Why are you crying Shelby?"  Through her tears and sniffles, Shelby tenderly relied," Emma, I never wanted to move here. I don't like this neighborhood and I thought if I acted badly and had no friends, my parents would move me back to Haggerville.  I had lots of friends there."  Emma surprisingly answered, "You did?  WOW Shelby, you sure fooled me.  I never thought that you were putting on a act, so that you could move back to Haggerville."  

Shelby's secret was out and now Emma knew why she was acting so unkind with all the kids " Well, Shelby, did it work? Is your family moving back to  Haggerville?"  asked Emma inquisitively.  "No, Emma, it didn't work and now I have made a BIG mess of everything for myself.  What am I going to do?"

Emma was very happy to learn that Shelby really wasn't unfriendly, but only making believe to influence her parents, which didn't work. "Shelby, I think we can fix everything.  You just give me a little time and you will see that this neighborhood really does like you, if you just give them a chance."  Emma explained.

 Shelby dried her tears and hugged Emma, " You really do like me, don't you Emma?"  "Yes, I do Shelby. I really do want to be your friend, and I would like to invite you to my pool party next Saturday , if it doesn't rain.   All the kids will be there and we are going to have a surprise birthday party for Ralphie.  Would you like to come?"

Shelby was thrilled to be invited.  From that day on, she no longer tried to make enemies, but made new friends. Shelby's heart had changed.  She went to Ralphie's birthday party and all the neighborhood kids were so surprised to see how kind and friendly Shelby had become. She shared her roller blades and let the kids ride her new bicycle. She became one of Emma's closest friends. Once the neighborhood kids knew about Shelby's secret they all accepted her as one of them.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment